How to help someone who is in crisis
Is someone you know in crisis or thinking about suicide?
- Stay calm and listen to what the person is saying.
- Directly ask the person, “Are you thinking about hurting yourself?” or “Are you thinking about suicide?”
- Remind the person that they are not alone—you are with them.
- If you are with the person, do not leave them alone.
- Arrange to accompany the person to the hospital emergency department or crisis centre—if in doubt, call 911.
- Contact and involve someone they trust—their doctor, a counsellor, a family member or a friend.
- Call a telephone crisis service:
- 1-800-268-7708: VAC Assistance Service—24 Hour Counselling with a Mental Health Professional
- search online or in your telephone book for a local crisis service phone number.
- Date modified: