Veterans Week 2017 - Commemoration
Honouring those who have served Canada
We encourage all Canadians to remember and honour these brave men and women in uniform.
Veterans' Week November 5-11
2017 is a special year for the commemoration of Canada's military heritage.
- VIMY APRIL 1917 - 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge
- DIEPPE AUGUST 1942 - 75th anniversary of the Dieppe Raid
- PASSCHENDAELE NOVEMBER 1917 - 100th anniversary of the Battle of Passchendaele
- Many acts of great courage with nine soldiers earning the Victoria Cross - the highest award in Canada for military valour.
Veterans Affairs Canada works in Canada and abroad to:
- Lead major commemorative events (Support organizations leading remembrance initiatives)
- Preserve war memorials, graves and cemeteries
- Provide financial assistance for funeral and burial services
- Promote awareness of what Canadians in uniform have done over the years (Provide learning materials for youth)
- Issue and replace medals (Second World War and Korean War)
How can YOU remember them?
- Join the conversation #CanadaRemembers #Passchendaele100
- Wear a poppy
- Thank a Veteran
- Learn about our military history
- Attend a ceremony
- Visit Canada.ca/Canada-Remembers
Did you know?
More than 2.3 million Canadians have served in uniform since Confederation and more than 118,000 have given their lives.
- Date modified: