"Time Line" Activity
Create a time line on the board or a flip chart, or using the electronic software of your choice. Mark the decades as well as perhaps what years your students were born. Now, insert and locate on the time line the following information:
- when the First (1914-1918) and Second (1939-1945) World Wars, and the Korean War (1950-1953) happened;
- mention some of the large-scale peace support operations Canada has participated in, such as United Nations peacekeeping operations in Cyprus (1964-1993) and the Golan Heights (1974-2006);
- the date new students became a part of your classroom, or moved to Canada;
You may want to take this opportunity to explore the concepts of time, e.g. how many years in a decade, how many decades in a century, discuss the 100th Anniversary of the end of the First World War, and ask them when will be the 100th Anniversary of the Second World War? How old will they be then?
You may also wish to talk about the Remembrance Clubhouse members and their relatives. How many years ago did their relatives serve?
- Bonfire Jr's relative Bonfire served in the First World War
- Win's relative Winnie served in the First World War
- Gandy's relative Gander served in the Second World War
- Squeaker's realtive Beachcomber served in the Second World War
- Ellie's relative Bandoola served in the Second World War
- Simone's relative Simon served in 1949.
- Date modified: