Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)
This award was established on 03 June 1918.
Eligibility and Criteria
The cross is awarded to officers and Warrant Officers for an act or acts of valour, courage or devotion to duty performed whilst flying in active operations against the enemy.
A cross flory, 2.125 inches wide, with the horizontal and base bars terminated with bumps, the upper bar with a rose. For mounting, the straight bar has two sprigs of laurel at the bottom which form a slot for a king ring to attach it to the small ring at the top of the medal.
On the obverse, airplane propellers are superimposed upon the vertical arms of the cross. Within a central winged roundel which is encircled by a wreath of laurels and surmounted by an Imperial Crown, appear the letters RAF. The wings of the roundel fall upon the horizontal arms of the cross.
On the reverse, in the central circle the Royal Cypher (GV, GVI, EIIR) appears above the date. The year of issue is engraved on the lower arm.
The ribbon is 1.25 inches wide, and consists of alternating violet and white stripes (0.125 wide) leaning to the left at 45 degrees from the vertical. The violet colour is to appear in the bottom left and upper right corners when viewed on the wearer's chest. Until 1919, the stripes were horizontal.
A straight silver bar is awarded for a further act or acts of valour, courage or devotion to duty whilst flying in active operations against the enemy. The slip-on bar has an eagle in the centre. The year of the award is engraved on the reverse.
- The DFC is issued unnamed.
- A total of 4,460 have been awarded to Canadians, including 256 first bars and six second bars.
- First World War: 193 to Canadians in the Royal Air Force (RAF), plus nine first bars
- Second World War: 4,018 to Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), plus 213 first bars and six second bars
- Second World War: 247 to Canadians in the RAF, plus 34 first bars (also 358 to FAF/RAA/ RNZAF in RCAF, plus 23 first bars)*
- Korea: one to RCAF, and one to the Canadian Army
* Not included in Canadian totals.
- Date modified: