North Atlantic Treaty Organization Memorial
This memorial was built with the consent and co-operation of NATO officials. Its purpose is to:
- Commemorate the soldiers who have died in service to NATO
- Pass the duty of remembrance on to future generations.
- Advance the duty of remembrance as part of European integration and international relations.
It is also a peace monument.
Two associations of civil and military women and men, the European Association of Bodies and Public Organizations of Security and Defense (AECOPSD) and the National Circle of Former French Military Personnel Stationed in Germany (CNAMFSA), have joined together in a committee to develop and monitor this program, in co-operation with municipal authorities in the village of Frethun, France.
The memorial is composed of two steles. It is made of orion blue polished granite and has:
- one 120 x 120 x 10 thick base,
- one 80 x 180 x 15 thick base,
- and two 80 x 180 x 12 thick steles.
On the first stele, the NATO symbol is engraved at the top in white paint; the inscriptions:
À LA MÉMOIRE DES SOLDATS QUI ONT FAIT LE SACRIFICE DE LEUR VIE AU SERVICE DE L'OTAN
IN MEMORY OF THE SOLDIERS WHO HAVE GIVEN THEIR LIVES IN THE SERVICE OF NATO.
On the second stele, the NATO flag is engraved in paint at the top and the flags of the 28 NATO member countries are engraved in paint underneath.
- Date modified: