Canadian Virtual War Memorial
Garnett James Stodgell
In memory of
Garnett James Stodgell
March 20, 1943
- Service Number:
- Winnipeg Grenadiers, R.C.I.C.
- February 7, 1917 Fisherton, Manitoba
- September 28, 1939 Winnipeg, Manitoba
Son of Charles and Mary E. Stodgell (1963 National Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother), of Fisherton, Manitoba.
Brother of Corporal Cyril Angus Stodgell, Lake Superior Regiment (Motor), killed in action September 11, 1944, and Private Stanley Fredrick Stodgell, Winnipeg Grenadiers, killed in action December 19, 1941.
- SAI WAN WAR CEMETERY ; Victoria, Hong Kong
- Grave Reference:
- VIII. F. 8.
- SAI WAN WAR CEMETERY is in the north-east of the island of Hong Kong, in the Chai Wan area, about 11 kilometres from the centre of Victoria, the capital of Hong Kong. At the entrance to the cemetery on Cape Collinson Road stands the memorial to those who died in Hong Kong and have no known grave. From it, the cemetery slopes down towards the sea and originally, the view towards the main land was magnificent. The easiest way to reach the cemetery is by the mass transit railway (MTR) Hong Kong line to Chai Wan Terminus. From the Terminus one can either walk up to the cemetery following Chai Wan Road to the roundabout, turning west into Wan Tsui Road, then south east up Lin Shing Road which leads to Cape Collinson Road. The CWGC road direction sign is fixed to a wall facing down Lin Shing Road. The Cape Collinson area has many cemeteries. Walking up this narrow one way traffic road, one will pass the Catholic Cemetery situated on the hillside to the left of the road, and the Hong Kong Military Cemetery on the right. SAI WAN WAR CEMETERY is about half way up Cape Collinson Road and faces the Muslim and Buddhist cemeteries. One can also get a taxi from Chai Wan Terminus and follow the same route. Alternatively one can board a public light bus, Route No. 16M, which runs from Chai Wan MTR Terminus to Stanley where the CWGC has another cemetery, the Stanley Military Cemetery. En route to Stanley the minibus will pass Sai Wan War Cemetery, stopping only on request.
Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Digital CollectionSend us your images
Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial
- Date modified: