Canadian Virtual War Memorial
Mark Robert Isfeld
In memory of
Mark Robert Isfeld
June 21, 1994
Kakma, Republic of Croatia
- Service Number:
- 1st Combat Engineering Regiment
- United Nations Protection Force (UNPROFOR)
- Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal, United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observer Mission (UNIKOM), United Nations Protection Force Yugoslavia (UNPROFOR), Dag Hammarskjöld Medal
- August 14, 1962 Zweibrücken, Germany
- May 22, 1986 Edmonton, Alberta
Son of Carol Margaret (nee Donaldson) (2000 National Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother) and Brian Lynthor Isfeld of Courtenay, British Columbia. Husband of Kelly Rae (nee LeMaster) Isfeld and stepfather of Wade and Kari. Brother of Leigh and Glenn.
MCpl Isfeld, a field engineer, was serving on a peacekeeping mission with the 1 Combat Engineer Regiment near Kakma, Croatia, and was involved in mine clearance at the time of his death. He was on his third peacekeeping mission in a two and one-half year period.
The popular soldier was well known in Croatia for the interest he had in children of the area and the distribution of "Izzy" dolls, scrap wool dolls made by his mother, and sent to him to give to the children.
Carol Isfeld was the Royal Canadian Legion National Silver (Memorial) Cross Mother for 2001. The National Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother is chosen annually by The Royal Canadian Legion to represent the mothers of Canada at the National Remembrance Day Ceremony in Ottawa on 11 November.
As the National Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother she laid a wreath at the base of the National War Memorial on behalf of all mothers who lost children in the military or merchant navy services of the nation.
Master Corporal Isfeld has also been honoured in Courtenay, British Columbia where a school has been renamed Mark R. Isfeld Secondary School.
- LITTLE MOUNTAIN ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION CEMETERY ; British Columbia, Canada
- Grave Reference:
- PH AA82
- Located in Chilliwack, British Columbia
Digital CollectionSend us your images
Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial
- Date modified: