Hidden photo gallery
Municipality/Province: Ottawa, ON
Memorial Number: 35059-019
Type: Stone tower
Address: 111 Wellington Street
Location: Parliament Hill, Centre Block
GPS Coordinates: Lat: 45.4245943 Long: -75.6994583
Contributor: Harry Palmer. Victoria Edwards
The Peace Tower, at a height of nearly 98 metres, forms the centrepiece on Parliament Hill and is dedicated to all Canadian men and women killed during wartime and the peace which they died to achieve.
On September 1, 1919, the Prince of Wales laid the cornerstone of the tower and designated it the Tower of Peace and Victory. However, the name of the tower was finally settled during the 1927 celebrations marking the 60th anniversary of Confederation. Prime Minister Mackenzie King was keen on giving this important memorial a name that would match its role as a symbol of the principles for which Canada fought in the Great War, as well as the high aspirations of the Canadian people.
It houses a 53-bell carillon, dedicated in remembrance of the sacrifice and service of Canadians in the First World War. Inside the Peace Tower is the Memorial Chamber, a space dedicated to the memory of those who gave their lives in service to Canada. The inauguration of the Peace Tower and its Carillon took place on July 1, 1927.
Inscription found on memorial
no wording/aucune inscription
- Date modified: