Forceful III Plaque
Hidden photo gallery
Municipality/Province: Ottawa, ON
Memorial Number: 35059-089
Address: 2 Queen Elizableth Drive
Location: Cartier Square Drill Hall, in the Governor General's Foot Guards Regimental Museum
GPS Coordinates: Lat: 45.4215916 Long: -75.6880404
Contributor: Will Thompson. Clive Law. Richard Turcotte
This memorial plaque of a Second World War era Sherman tank nicknamed "Forceful III", is dedicated to the memory of the member of the Governor General's Foot Guards killed during the Second World War while operating as an armoured regiment.
The Forceful III Tank, was placed in front of Cartier Square Drill Hall as a memorial shortly after its return from Europe in 1946. It remained in this location until about 2004 when the area in front of the drill hall was renovated and the tank relocated to the Canadian War Museum.
Inscription found on memorial
FORCEFUL IS A MEMORIAL TO THE MEMBERS OF THE
GOVERNOR GENERAL'S FOOT GUARDS
WHO DIED DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR, 1939-1945.
THIS SHERMAN TANK (M4A4 WITH 75MM GUN) WAS ISSUED TO MAJOR E.M. SMITH, No. 3
SQUADRON, 21st CNADIAN ARMOURED REGIMENT (G.G.F.G.), IN MARESFIELD, ENGLAND, JUNE,
1944. IT LANDED IN FRANCE ON 25 JULY, 1944. MAJOR SMITH BECAME THE COMMANDING OFFICER
OF THE REGIMENT IN AUGUST 1944. WITH HIS CREW, HE FOGHT "FORCEFUL" THROUGHOUT THE
CAMPAIGNS IN NORTH-WEST EUROPE. WHILE DAMAGED BY ENEMY ACTION "FORCEFUL" WAS NEVER PUT OUT OF ACTION.
- Date modified: