What Clients Should Know
How Can I Access Products on the VAC drug Formulary?
- Eligible clients may access standard formulary items by presenting their prescription and their VAC Health Care Identification Card to a pharmacist. The pharmacist submits the request to VAC over a computer network. Access will be approved for "B" clients; for "A" clients access will be approved if the drug is related to the treatment of their VAC pensioned medical condition.
- To receive special authorization formulary benefits, a client would follow the above steps with the pharmacist; however, for these benefits, the pharmacist will be asked over the computer network to call VAC's special authorization center to seek approval.
How Can I Access Products That Do Not Appear On VAC'S Formulary?
Clients who wish to access products not available on VAC's formulary can submit a request to the Pharmacy Support Unit. Requests should include a letter or report from their doctor that clearly establishes:
- their diagnosis (related to the requested product);
- an explanation of why the requested non-formulary product is required;
- an explanation of how the product will provide a therapeutic value.
How Do I Contact The Pharmacy Support Unit?
- To receive further information on how to submit a written request, clients can call a toll-free telephone number: 1-866-522-2122.
- Requests for non-formulary products must be submitted in writing to the Pharmacy Support Unit. The address is:
- Veterans Affairs Canada
Treatment Authorization Centre - Pharmacy
What If My Request for a Drug or Non-Formulary Product Is Denied?
- A review process has been established for clients who have received a negative response.
- Instructions on how to request a review will be provided in letters of decision issued to clients by VAC following any negative decision.
Did you find what you were looking for?
Living outside of Canada?
Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30, EST
United States 1-888-996-2242 (toll-free)
United Kingdom, Germany, France, or Belgium 00-800-996-22421 (toll-free)
Any other country 1-613-996-2242 (collect)
- Date modified: