Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the fastest way to apply for VIP services?

The fastest way to apply is by using your My VAC Account. Other methods are also available, see How to Apply for more information.

2. What benefits are available to survivors or primary caregivers through VIP?

Eligible Survivors or Primary Caregivers may receive housekeeping and/or grounds maintenance benefits.

3. I am currently living outside of Canada; can I still receive my VIP benefits?

Unfortunately, VIP benefits can only be provided to you when you are in Canada.

4. Can I choose any provider of services?

You may obtain services from a provider of your choice.

5. How is my housekeeping/grounds maintenance grant calculated?

The amount of your Housekeeping and Grounds Maintenance grant is calculated based on your level of need and the going rates for the services in the area in which you live, up to the maximum annual amount. These rates are based on a review of costs of these services across the country, and the labour market index. This chart shows the costs of these services in 2018.

6. What are the VIP maximum annual amounts?

This PDF chart shows the maximum annual VIP amounts.

7. Do I need to provide my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

Your SIN is not required to apply for the VIP. In fact, you should remove your SIN if it happens to be on any correspondence that you are sending to us.

8. Is window-washing a VIP benefit?

Yes. Window-washing is included as part of the calculation of your Housekeeping grant.

Did you find what you were looking for?

You can also do a search or contact us at 1-866-522-2122 (toll-free) Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30, local time.

Living outside of Canada?

Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30, EST

United States 1-888-996-2242 (toll-free)
United Kingdom, Germany, France, or Belgium 00-800-996-22421 (toll-free)
Any other country 1-613-996-2242 (collect)

Related Links

Date modified: