Language selection


Share this article on:

The 2016 Life After Service Survey shows that 28 percent of partners and 17 percent of children of Veterans find this period of change to be tough. Various factors contribute to a family’s transition—positive or otherwise. Financial stability and community integration are among them. If you and your family need guidance during transition, you are not alone. Here are four programs and services that may be of interest.

Operational Stress Injury Social Support

Operational Stress Injury Social Support is a peer support network for the families of members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) and Veterans experiencing operational stress injuries. You and your family can connect to a community of people with similar experiences. A family peer support coordinator can get you started.

Military Family Resource Centres

Military Family Resource Centres provide services that empower military families. These centres are located on CAF bases and wings across Canada. Employees at Military Family Resource Centres are frontline service providers, responsible for connecting military families to a wide range of programs and services. For transitioning families of medically-released CAF members, the Veteran Family Program is accessible through the centres. A program coordinator will work with you to develop a tailored plan. You can call or visit your local Military Family Resource Centre to connect with a coordinator.

The Royal Canadian Legion

The Royal Canadian Legion is Canada's largest Veteran-support organization. The non-profit provides Veterans and their families with transition support, emergency financial assistance and referrals for health services. The Legion's local branches also offer health clinics, seminars and scholarships. You can contact a Legion Command Service Officer for more information.

Canadian Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Services

The Canadian Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Services partners with VAC to support Veterans with service-related injuries or illnesses. Veterans and their family members who qualify can take part in the program through a referral from VAC. To determine if you or your partner qualify, call 866-522-2122.

For more information on other programs, services and resources available for families, visit

Date published: 2018-10-10

Articles for Veterans and families

What single parents need to know during and after transition

What single parents need to know during and after transition

Dr. Alla Skomorovksy is a defence scientist at the Department of National Defence who conducts research on military families and well-being. Her recent work highlights the strain some single parents feel while serving or during transition. Here is what you need to know.

Todd Ross: Success in spite of the harassment

Todd Ross: Success in spite of the harassment

Expelled from the Royal Canadian Navy in the LGBT purge, Todd Ross turned his considerable talents to build an impressive public service career, and helped lead the drive for redress from the federal government.

Hometown service part 2: Montreal

Hometown service part 2: Montreal

Canada’s wartime efforts have not only helped protect peace and freedom at home and abroad, but also shaped our nation economically and historically.

Date modified: