Language selection


Group Health Insurance

Most people will need medical care at some point. Group health insurance can help cover many of the costs related to that care.

About this program

You and your family may need basic or additional healthcare coverage. If eligible, we can offer access to group health insurance through the Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP). Participants are responsible for paying monthly premiums. The amount of your premium depends on the type and level of coverage you choose.

The Public Service Health Care Plan provides coverage for a wide variety of health-related products and services. Participation is voluntary and can be in addition to other medical coverage you may have, such as treatment benefits or rehabilitation services from VAC, private insurance, etc.

The plan reimburses 80 percent of the cost for most eligible expenses. Eligible expenses include prescription medicines, vision care, medical practitioners, dental treatments as a result of accidental injury, other services and supplies, out-of-province referrals or expenses, and hospital accommodation charges depending on the coverage you selected.

This plan offers two kinds of coverage:

Supplementary Coverage:

  • For those living in Canada, an added coverage on top of the health insurance plan in your home province or territory.

Comprehensive Coverage:

  • For those living outside of Canada and not covered by a provincial or territorial health insurance plan.

Do you qualify?

You can apply for the Public Service Health Care Plan through VAC if you are:

  • a former Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) member who released on or after April 1, 2006 and you have been approved for the CAF Long Term Disability program, or
  • a former CAF member who is eligible for VAC rehabilitation services, or
  • the survivor of a CAF member or Veteran who died after April 1, 2006 as a result of a service-related injury or illness, and you are not already receiving the Public Service Health Care Plan through the Department of National Defence.

How to apply

Apply online

If you are registered for My VAC Account, you can submit your application for this benefit online. If you aren’t registered, you can register now.

My VAC Account

Mail or in person

Download the application form. Then, drop it off at a VAC office or CAF transition centre. You can also mail your completed application directly to the address listed on the form.

Go to form

Get help with your application

The staff at any VAC office or CAF Transition Centre can assist you, or call us at 1-866-522-2122.

Additional information

Find out more

Dental coverage is not available as part of the PSHCP. For additional terms and conditions of coverage, as well as detailed information regarding the benefits provided, please contact Sun Life at 1-888-757-7427 or visit the Public Service Health Care Plan Web site.

Information on rates and premiums is also available on the National Joint Council Web site which is responsible for setting this health care plan's rates.

Related programs

Rehabilitation Program: Services to improve your health and adjust to life after service.

CAF Long Term Disability program: Provides replacement income protection when you are released for medical reasons.

Frequently asked questions

I do not agree with Sun Life's decision about my claim. How can I appeal?

The Appeals process is available to all members of the Public Service Health Care Plan. If you do not agree with a decision about your claim, you may send a letter of appeal to the Administration Authority for review.

I have a concern with my coverage, who do I contact?

If you are not satisfied with your coverage you can submit an appeal directly to the PSHCP.

Are there policies for this program?

Yes. Read the Health Benefits program.

View more FAQs about the Public Service Health Care Plan.

Date modified: