First General Rotation

From the winter of 1951-1952 until the end of hostilities in 1953 a period of static warfare set in. United Nations forces held and improved their positions, reinforced their defenses, patrolled in no man's land, and repulsed enemy attacks. It became a war of raids, booby traps and mines, bombardments, casualties, and endless patrolling. There were to be no major battles, no large-scale operations: the end to the conflict rested in the hands of the negotiators in the Korean town of Panmunjom.

The rotation of the remaining infantry battalions and other fighting units of the original 25th Brigade began in mid-April. The 2nd Battalion Royal 22e Régiment and the 2nd Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment were relieved by their 1st Battalions, newly arrived from Canada, while the 1st Royal Canadian Horse Artillery took over the gun lines. "C" Squadron, Lord Strathcona's Horse remained in Korea until June when it was replaced by its "B" Squadron.

On April 27, 1952, the new Brigade Commander, Brigadier M.P. Bogert, took over command of the 25th Brigade on the Jamestown line. This line had been altered in mid-April when the Commonwealth Division took over responsibility for Hill 355 while the area west of the Sami-chon River passed to the Americans.

Date modified: