Location Details

Canadians buried in North Luffenham Cemetery:

11 result(s) matching your search
Name Date of Birth Date of Death
Churchill, Ernest Kitchener 1953
Dickson, James Donald 1953
Elphick, Leonard James 1954
Gillies, Arthur Malcolm 1954
Laing, Alexander Mitchell 1954
McNeilly, Thomas Arthur 1952
Rayner, Arthur Edgar 1952
Robinson, Pattee Vernon 1954
Rosin, Clarence Harold 1953
Tracey, David Gordon 1953
Wilkings, Keith Samuel 1953

North Luffenham Cemetery

Deputy Mayor Madame Rausch of Metz and Tracy Braun, Project Team

In 1949 the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) was formed by a group of nations concerned with the threat of communism expanding into Western Europe. As a founding member, Canada agreed to provide, along with other military units, an Air Force contribution which would be tasked with the role of air defence.

1 Air Division was formed with the headquarters based in Metz, France. In 1951, 410 Squadron of the RCAF was to become the first squadron of the Air Division. (1 Wing).

410 Squadron was moved to North Luffenham where it would be joined in 1952 by 439 and 441 Squadrons. North Luffenham operated until 1955 when 1 Wing was moved to Marville, France.

North Luffenham is located in Rutland County about 40 miles south east of Nottingham. Eleven service members are buried in the local cemetery, their graves being maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Background Information on these sites has been extracted from: the Pinetree Line Web Site; the 2 (F) Wing RCAF Grostenquin, France Information Booklet (1957); publication 4 CMBG Canada's NATO Brigade, 1983, Moritz Schauenburg Gmbh & Co. KG.

Date modified: