Location Details

Canadians buried in Radcliffe-On-Trent Cemetery:

3 result(s) matching your search
Name Date of Birth Date of Death
Boyle, Bradley A. 1962
Deveau, Kenneth Charles 1954 1960
Wright, W. H. 1962

Radcliffe-On-Trent Cemetery

St. Andrew’s Church, Langar

In 1949 the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) was formed by a group of nations concerned with the threat of communism expanding into Western Europe. As a founding member, Canada agreed to provide, along with other military units, an Air Force contribution which would be tasked with the role of air defence.

1 Air Division was formed with the headquarters based in Metz, France. Providing logistical support to 1 Air Division was 30 Air Material Base located in Langar. At Langar inventory of supplies and spare parts was maintained in support of the Wings located in continental Europe. 30 Air Material Base was opened in 1953 and closed in 1964. Langar is located 20 miles south of Nottingham.

Many Canadian families posted to Langar lived in the surrounding villages. Radcliffe on Trent is located about 8 miles from Langar. In the village cemetery 2 dependants and 1 service member are buried.

Canada is presently negotiating to provide for perpetual maintenance of these graves.

Background Information on these sites has been extracted from: the Pinetree Line Web Site; the 2 (F) Wing RCAF Grostenquin, France Information Booklet (1957); publication 4 CMBG Canada's NATO Brigade, 1983, Moritz Schauenburg Gmbh & Co. KG.

Date modified: