Location Details

Canadians buried in Langar Cemetery:

2 result(s) matching your search
Name Date of Birth Date of Death
MacCullum, Eric Archibald 1948 1953
Rennebohm, Margaret J. 1921 1957

Langar Cemetery

Entrance to Cemetery

In 1949 the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) was formed by a group of nations concerned with the threat of communism expanding into Western Europe. As a founding member, Canada agreed to provide, along with other military units, an Air Force contribution which would be tasked with the role of air defence.

1 Air Division was formed with the headquarters based in Metz, France. Providing logistical support to 1 Air Division was 30 Air Material Base located in Langar. At Langar inventory of supplies and spare parts was maintained in support of the Wings located in continental Europe. 30 Air Material Base was opened in 1953 and closed in 1964. Langar is located 20 miles south of Nottingham.

Langar was a posting where service members were joined by their families. There are two Canadians, a dependant wife and a child buried in the local church yard.

Canada is presently negotiating to provide for perpetual maintenance of these graves.

Background Information on these sites has been extracted from: the Pinetree Line Web Site; the 2 (F) Wing RCAF Grostenquin, France Information Booklet (1957); publication 4 CMBG Canada's NATO Brigade, 1983, Moritz Schauenburg Gmbh & Co. KG.

Date modified: