Location Details

Canadians buried in Rastatt Cemetery:

2 result(s) matching your search
Name Date of Birth Date of Death
MacKenzie, Jennifer Julia Leona 1983 1983
Stevenson, Heidi Rae 1956 1957

Rastatt Cemetery

Canada has played an integral role in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) since its inception on 4 April 1949. Canada's commitment to have four fighter wings in Europe resulted in the creation of the 1 Canadian Air Division with its Headquarters in Metz, France and the following Wings located in France and Germany:
    1 (F) Wing at Marville, France;
    2 (F) Wing at Grostenquin, France;
    3 (F) Wing at Zweibrücken, Germany; and
    4 (F) Wing at Baden-Söllingen, Germany.

Logistical support for the Division was provided by 30 AMB in Langar, England.

Following a restructure of the Canadian Forces in Europe, 4 (F) Wing was renamed Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Baden-Söllingen.

Service members and their families posted to CFB Baden-Söllingen often made their homes in the surrounding towns and villages. Rastatt was no exception. It is located several kilometres to the north of Baden-Söllingen.

Unlike most of North America, cemetery plots in Europe are not acquired in perpetuity but are leased for a specific period of time. Two children, Heidi Stevenson and Jennifer MacKenzie had been buried in the main cemetery in Rastatt.

Canada has entered into a 50-year agreement with the municipality of Rastatt for the maintenance of a Memorial Cairn. This Memorial Cairn bears the names of the two children and a dedication ceremony was held in 2004.

Background Information on these sites has been extracted from: the Pinetree Line Web Site; the 2 (F) Wing RCAF Grostenquin, France Information Booklet (1957); publication 4 CMBG Canada's NATO Brigade, 1983, Moritz Schauenburg Gmbh & Co. KG.

Date modified: