Canadian Virtual War Memorial

John Rice Armour

In memory of:

Private John Rice Armour

June 2, 1916

Military Service


Service Number:

444337

Age:

21

Force:

Army

Unit:

Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regiment)

Division:

42nd Bn.

Additional Information


Son of John S. and Mary E. Armour, of Plaster Rock, New Brunswick.

Commemorated on Page 47 of the First World War Book of Remembrance. Request a copy of this page.

Burial Information


Cemetery:
Grave Reference:

Panel 24 - 26 - 28 - 30

Location:


The Menin Gate Memorial is situated at the eastern side of the town of Ypres (now Ieper) in the Province of West Flanders, on the road to Menin and Courtrai. It bears the names of 55,000 men who were lost without trace during the defence of the Ypres Salient in the First World War. Designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and erected by the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commission, it consists of a Hall of Memory", 36.6 metres long by 20.1 metres wide. In the centre are broad staircases leading to the ramparts which overlook the moat, and to pillared loggias which run the whole length of the structure. On the inner walls of the Hall, on the side of the staircases and on the walls of the loggias, panels of Portland stone bear the names of the dead, inscribed by regiment and corps. Carved in stone above the central arch are the words:


TO THE ARMIES OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE WHO STOOD HERE FROM 1914 TO 1918 AND TO THOSE OF THEIR DEAD WHO HAVE NO KNOWN GRAVE.

Over the two staircases leading from the main Hall is the inscription:

HERE ARE RECORDED NAMES OF OFFICERS AND MEN WHO FELL IN YPRES SALIENT BUT TO WHOM THE FORTUNE OF WAR DENIED THE KNOWN AND HONOURED BURIAL GIVEN TO THEIR COMRADES IN DEATH.

The dead are remembered to this day in a simple ceremony that takes place every evening at 8:00 p.m. All traffic through the gateway in either direction is halted, and two buglers (on special occasions four) move to the centre of the Hall and sound the Last Post. Two silver trumpets for use in the ceremony are a gift to the Ypres Last Post Committee by an officer of the Royal Canadian Artillery, who served with the 10th Battery, of St. Catharines, Ontario, in Ypres in April 1915."

Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Digital Collection

Send us your images
  • Casualty Details
  • Attestation Paper
  • Attestation Paper
  • Map– Trench Map extract from the Imperial War Museum showing where it was reported Private Armour was buried on 2 June 1916  versus where the cross was found by the Graves Registration Unit on 1 September 1926. The physical remains may not have been found where the cross was erected on the trenches in the south of the woods if he was buried near "The Culvert" to the north of the woods. Images of the Death Records and the Exhumation Records are provided as marked.
  • Circumstances of Death Registers– Front of "Circumstance of Death" file describing the fate of Private Amour.
  • Circumstances of Death Registers– Back of "Circumstance of Death" file recording the burial location of Private Amour on 2 June 1916, as shown on the map image provided.
  • Concentration of Graves file– Concentration of Graves file from the Graves Registration Unit prepared when the area where the cross was found was checked on 1 September 1926. No remains were found at this location.
  • Memorial– Inscription on the Menin Gate … photo courtesy of Marg Liessens

Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial

To learn more please visit our help page. If you have questions or comments regarding the information contained in this registry, email vac.cvwm-mvgc.acc@canada.ca or call us.

Date modified: