Duisans British Cemetery

Duisans British Cemetery

During the First World War, the area around Duisans, France, was in the hands of Commonwealth forces from March 1916 until the end of the conflict. It was not until February 1917, however, that the site of this cemetery was selected for those who died in casualty clearing stations located in the area. The first burials took place in March 1917 and the cemetery grew very quickly.

There are now 3,207 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated at the Duisans British Cemetery, of whom 320 are Canadians. There are also 88 German war graves located in this cemetery designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Most of the graves relate to the fighting in the Arras sector in the spring of 1917, and the trench warfare that followed. From May to August 1918, the cemetery was also used for burials of those killed on the front lines and from the autumn of 1918 to late 1920, army medical facilities remained stationed in the area.

Directions

The Duisans British Cemetery actually lies in Etrun, France but takes its name from the nearby village of Duisans. The two communities are in the Department of the Pas-de-Calais, about nine kilometers west of Arras. It is located one kilometer north of Duisans on the D339 road, off the N39 (in the angle formed by the Arras Habarcq road and a track leading to Haute-Avesnes).

Cemeteries

Date modified: