Language selection

Bayeux War Cemetery

Cemetery Plan - Bayeux War Cemetery

Cemetery Plan - Bayeux War Cemetery

The town of Bayeux, in Normandy, lies 24 kilometres north-west of Caen. Bayeux War Cemetery is situated in the south-western outskirts of the town, on the by-pass Rue de Sir Fabian Ware.

Bayeux is an ancient and historic town of Normandy. Its cathedral was the seat of Bishop Odon, half-brother of William the Conqueror, who took part in the invasion of England; and in it is the tomb of an English soldier of the Hundred Years' War. Bayeux was the first French town of importance to be liberated from the Germans in June 1944.

On the opposite side of the road stands the Bayeux Memorial to 1,803 men of the land forces who died in the fighting in Normandy and in the advance to the River Seine, and have no known grave.

Date modified: