Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery

Cemetery Plan - Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery

Cemetery Plan - Harrogate (Stonefall) Cemetery

The town cemetery is on the south east side of Harrogate, Yorkshire. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission's plot is in the southern part of the cemetery. To reach the cemetery from Harrogate, go along the Harrogate/Wetherby road (A661) to the junction with the A59. The cemetery is signposted at this junction.

This cemetery contains war graves of both world wars. The large majority of the war burials occurred during the 1939-45 War. Nearly all are airmen, two-thirds of them belonging to the Canadian forces. Many of these men died in the Military Wing of Harrogate General Hospital. Of the many airfields established in Yorkshire during the War, a number were situated in the vicinity of Harrogate. Such were the R.A.F. station at Harrogate itself, and those at Linton-on-Ouse, Tockwith, Rufforth and Marston Moor. Nearly all the Canadians buried here belonged to No. 6 (R.C.A.F.) Bomber Group, whose headquarters were at Allerton Park.

All the stations controlled by this Group were in the area north of Harrogate in the Vale of York, the largest base having its headquarters at Linton-on-Ouse. During the early months of the war a piece of land was set aside by the local authorities for service war burials near the north-west corner of the cemetery. This group of war graves is in Sections 20E and 21E within the northern boundary. In July 1943 the Air Forces Section was opened at the north-eastern corner of the cemetery, where men from airfields in Yorkshire and the north-eastern counties were brought, most of whom died in the great bomber offensive on targets in Germany.

Date modified: