Language selection

Canadian Virtual War Memorial

Henry Boyd Hodge

In memory of:

Lance Corporal Henry Boyd Hodge

December 1, 1915

Military Service


Service Number:

109400

Force:

Army

Unit:

4th Canadian Mounted Rifles (2nd Central Ontario Regt.)

Additional Information


Born:

November 30, 1880

Commemorated on Page 19 of the First World War Book of Remembrance. Request a copy of this page.

Burial Information


Cemetery:
Grave Reference:

III. A. 9.

Location:

BERKS CEMETERY EXTENSION is located 12.5 kilometres south of Ieper town centre on the N365 leading from Ieper to Mesen (Messines), Ploegsteert and on to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg (N336). 3.5 kilometres along the N336 lies a fork junction with the N365. The N365 which forms the right hand fork leads to the town of Mesen. The BERKS CEMETERY EXTENSION lies 3 kilometres beyond Mesen on the right hand side of the N365 and opposite Hyde Park Corner Royal Berks Cemetery.

Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Digital Collection

Send us your images
  • Newspaper Clipping– In memory of the men and women memorialized on the pages of the Winnipeg Evening Tribune during World War One. Submitted for the project, Operation: Picture Me
  • Roll of Service– From the "University of Toronto / Roll of Service 1914-1918", published in 1921.
  • Newspaper Clipping
  • Newspaper Clipping– From the Toronto Star for 5 April 1916.
  • Photo of Henry Boyd Hodge– From: The Varsity Magazine Supplement published by The Students Administrative Council, University of Toronto 1916.  
Submitted for the Soldiers' Tower Committee, University of Toronto, by Operation Picture Me.
  • Newspaper Clipping– Globe, Toronto. "Canada's Heritage" archive online.
1916, Apr. 15 p5 part 1 of 2
  • Newspaper Clipping– Globe, Toronto. "Canada's Heritage" archive online.
1916, Apr. 15 p5 part 2 of 2
  • Memorial Plaque– World War One memorial tablet, St. Paul's (Anglican), Bloor St. East, Toronto, Ontario.  One of two memorial tablets set within a spectacular carved alabaster chancel screen.  Erected in memory of the men of St. Paul's who died during the first World War and unveiled in March 1926.   Each alabaster tablet incorporates mosaic work depicting kneeling angels holding a laurel wreath and a torch.  Seventy-six names in total were listed by date of death.   Inscribed:  ¿DYING AND BEHOLD WE LIVE¿, and ¿So he passed over, and all the trumpets sounded for him on the other side.¿ (John Bunyan).
  • Inscription– World War One memorial tablet set in the chancel screen at St. Paul's (Anglican),  Toronto, Ontario.  The screen is in three sections, with the two outside sections displaying the tablets.  The chancel screen includes statues of twelve historic figures including Admiral Earl Beatty, King George V, Earl Kitchener, Marshal Foch, Earl Haig, and Lord Byng of Vimy.  The screen was the work of Messrs. J. Wippell & Co., of Exeter, England.

The great chancel war memorial windows are located above. These are inscribed:   "To the Greater Glory of God and in Everlasting Remembrance of the Men of St. Paul's Parish who gave their lives in Defence of Justice, Liberty and Truth, A.D. 1914-1919."  They were unveiled in 1921 by the Governor-General of Canada, Baron Byng of Vimy.  Another World War One memorial window in honour of the men named on the tablets is located on the east wall of the Nave.  The panels include fragments of glass from 70 buildings in the war zones.  It was unveiled by Baron Byng of Vimy in 1922.  Both windows were manufactured by Robert McCausland Ltd. of Toronto.
  • Grave Marker– Photo courtesy of Wilf Schofield, England
  • Entrance
  • The Soldiers' Tower– The Soldiers' Tower was built at University of Toronto between 1919-1924 in memory of those lost to the University in the Great War. The name of "L.Cpl. H. B. Hodge 4th C.M.R." is among the 628 names carved on the Memorial Screen, seen at photo left. Photo: K. Parks, Alumni Relations.
  • Memorial Room– Memorial Room, Soldiers' Tower, University of Toronto.  Photo by David Pike, 2010; courtesy of Alumni Relations.
  • Newspaper Clipping– Source:  The Globe Toronto Wednesday April  5 1916

Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial

To learn more please visit our help page. If you have questions or comments regarding the information contained in this registry, email vac.cvwm-mvgc.acc@canada.ca or call us.

Date modified: