Canadian Virtual War Memorial

John Hannaford Symons

In memory of:

Captain John Hannaford Symons

June 2, 1916

Military Service


Age:

25

Force:

Army

Unit:

4th Canadian Mounted Rifles (2nd Central Ontario Regt.)

Additional Information


Son of William Linbury Symons and Georgia Lutz Symons; husband of E. Marion Douglas Symons, of 64, South Drive, Toronto.

Commemorated on Page 170 of the First World War Book of Remembrance. Request a copy of this page.

Burial Information


Cemetery:
Grave Reference:

Panel 30 and 32

Location:


The Menin Gate Memorial is situated at the eastern side of the town of Ypres (now Ieper) in the Province of West Flanders, on the road to Menin and Courtrai. It bears the names of 55,000 men who were lost without trace during the defence of the Ypres Salient in the First World War. Designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and erected by the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commission, it consists of a Hall of Memory", 36.6 metres long by 20.1 metres wide. In the centre are broad staircases leading to the ramparts which overlook the moat, and to pillared loggias which run the whole length of the structure. On the inner walls of the Hall, on the side of the staircases and on the walls of the loggias, panels of Portland stone bear the names of the dead, inscribed by regiment and corps. Carved in stone above the central arch are the words:


TO THE ARMIES OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE WHO STOOD HERE FROM 1914 TO 1918 AND TO THOSE OF THEIR DEAD WHO HAVE NO KNOWN GRAVE.

Over the two staircases leading from the main Hall is the inscription:

HERE ARE RECORDED NAMES OF OFFICERS AND MEN WHO FELL IN YPRES SALIENT BUT TO WHOM THE FORTUNE OF WAR DENIED THE KNOWN AND HONOURED BURIAL GIVEN TO THEIR COMRADES IN DEATH.

The dead are remembered to this day in a simple ceremony that takes place every evening at 8:00 p.m. All traffic through the gateway in either direction is halted, and two buglers (on special occasions four) move to the centre of the Hall and sound the Last Post. Two silver trumpets for use in the ceremony are a gift to the Ypres Last Post Committee by an officer of the Royal Canadian Artillery, who served with the 10th Battery, of St. Catharines, Ontario, in Ypres in April 1915."

Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Digital Collection

Send us your images
  • Memorial– Inscription on the Menin Gate … photo courtesy of Marg Liessens
  • Press Clipping– This interview with Corp. Charles Hockley, 4th C.M.R., discusses the circumstances surrounding the death of Captain John Hannaford Symons.
  • Royal Canadian Yacht Club Memorial– The Royal Canadian Yacht Club World War One Memorial, Toronto, Ontario.  
Images of the 1926 unveiling ceremony and the names listed on the side 
panels of the sun dial memorial. This unveiling and the photographs were 
presented in a special edition booklet entitled "In Memoriam 1914-1918".
  • War Memorial– Ex-cadets are named on the Memorial Arch at the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario and in memorial stained glass windows to fallen comrades.
795 Captain John Hannaford Symons (RMC 1911) was the son of William Linbury Symons and Georgia Lutz Symons. He was the husband of E. Marion Douglas Symons, of 64, South Drive, Toronto. He served with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles (2nd Central Ontario Regt.). He died 2 Jun 1916. His name is listed on the Menin Gate Memorial in Belgium.
  • Memorial Stained Glass– Ex-cadets are named on the Memorial Arch at the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario and in memorial stained glass windows to fallen comrades.
795 Captain John Hannaford Symons (RMC 1911) was the son of William Linbury Symons and Georgia Lutz Symons. He was the husband of E. Marion Douglas Symons, of 64, South Drive, Toronto. He served with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles (2nd Central Ontario Regt.). He died 2 Jun 1916. His name is listed on the Menin Gate Memorial in Belgium.
  • Memorial Doll– Ex-cadets are named on the Memorial Arch at the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario and in memorial stained glass windows to fallen comrades.
795 Captain John Hannaford Symons (RMC 1911) was the son of William Linbury Symons and Georgia Lutz Symons. He was the husband of E. Marion Douglas Symons, of 64, South Drive, Toronto. He served with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles (2nd Central Ontario Regt.). He died 2 Jun 1916. His name is listed on the Menin Gate Memorial in Belgium.
  • Menin Gate Memorial– 795 Captain John Hannaford Symons (RMC 1911) was the son of William Linbury Symons and Georgia Lutz Symons. He was the husband of E. Marion Douglas Symons, of 64, South Drive, Toronto. He served with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles (2nd Central Ontario Regt.). He died 2 Jun 1916. His name is listed on the Menin Gate Memorial in Belgium.
  • Badge– 795 Captain John Hannaford Symons (RMC 1911) was the son of William Linbury Symons and Georgia Lutz Symons. He was the husband of E. Marion Douglas Symons, of 64, South Drive, Toronto. He served with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles (2nd Central Ontario Regt.). He died 2 Jun 1916. His name is listed on the Menin Gate Memorial in Belgium.
  • Memorial Arch– Memorial arch, Royal Military College, Kingston
  • Memorial Stair– Memorial stair, Royal Military College, Kingston
  • Memorial Stained Glass– Memorial window, Royal Military College, Kingston
  • Photo of John Hannaford Symons
  • Inscription– Captain John Hannaford Symons, Panel 30, Menin Gate
  • Sword– The sword that belonged to Captain John Hannaford Symons who was a member of the 4th Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles.
  • Inscription– Menin Gate (Ypres) Memorial inscription.
  • Newspaper Clipping– From the Toronto Star. Submitted for the project Operation: Picture Me
  • Newspaper Clipping– From the Toronto Star. Submitted for the project, Operation: Picture Me

Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial

To learn more please visit our help page. If you have questions or comments regarding the information contained in this registry, email vac.cvwm-mvgc.acc@canada.ca or call us.

Date modified: