No surrender

Heroes Remember

Well they took a lot of our operators and they put them on the air, and they were sending messages to the Japanese telling them the war was over, to go home. But all they'd get was a break in and saying, "Go home Yank, go home Yank." You know, they treated everybody like the Yankees. They didn't believe us that the war was over. Oh yes, some of them, years and years after were, they were still hauling them out of the woods. You gotta be just as careful after the war was over as you were when the war was on. Snipers were everywhere you know. We knew that people had been fired on, I was never fired on, at least I didn't know I was, but... Interviewer: You must have been brown as a berry come the end of the summer, end of the war. Yeah, all we wore was a pair of shorts, no shirt, nothing else. We were like the Aboriginals. The Aboriginals would wear nothing. Even the women from here up didn't wear anything. Scorpions, this one thing we had to do, shake our boots every morning you got up, shake them out. Scorpions were, one of our fellas was bitten by a scorpion. And we had a couple of guys who got malaria, and we were taking quinine or something for malaria, and when I come home, and they took me off the quinine that's when I, I thought I had malaria. There, there was a, I had a reaction after they took me off the stuff. Interviewer: Interesting... (Inaudible) were all over the place, they were just a big funnel stuck in the sand.

Mr. McVicar talks about Japan's refusal to surrender, and life in the Tropics with scorpions and malaria.

Carl McVicar

Carl McVicar was born in Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, on August 23, 1925. His father was a coal miner, who developed tuberculosis during the 1930s, so times were tough. Mr. McVicar left Glace Bay in 1941, at the age of 16. He learned how to work as a wireless operator at a young age. His father was friends with a gentleman who was in charge of Marconi Towers in Glace Bay and Mr. McVicar learned how to work in the radio room during their frequent visits to Marconi Towers. At the young age of 16, Mr. McVicar enlisted with the Merchant Marine and was taken right away, because they were in need of Wirless Operators. He trained with the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals and was sent to Labrador to build stations. After receiving an overseas medal, Mr. McVicar was shipped to Victoria, B.C., for specialized wireless training, then he was sent to Australia and New Guinea, where he witnessed such amazing things as the Enola Gay taking off to drop the first atomic bomb on Japan. He remained in the South Pacific until coming home to Canada after the War was declared over. After returning to Canada, he lived and worked in Toronto, until he returned to the East Coast after one year.

Meta Data
Veterans Affairs Canada
Person Interviewed:
Carl McVicar
War, Conflict or Mission:
Second World War
#1 Special Wireless Unit
Wireless Operator

Copyright / Permission to Reproduce

Related Videos

Date modified: