Location Details

Canadians buried in Kuppenheim Cemetery:

4 result(s) matching your search
Name Date of Birth Date of Death
Kerr, Sandra Leslie 1969 1969
Locke, Janice Dawn 1960 1960
Neilson, Patricia Anne 1954
Weltz, James David 1955 1955

Kuppenheim Cemetery

Canada has played an integral role in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) since its inception on 4 April 1949. Canada's commitment to have four fighter wings in Europe resulted in the creation of the 1 Canadian Air Division with its Headquarters in Metz, France and the following Wings located in France and Germany:
    1 (F) Wing at Marville, France;
    2 (F) Wing at Grostenquin, France;
    3 (F) Wing at Zweibrücken, Germany; and
    4 (F) Wing at Baden-Söllingen, Germany.

Logistical support for the Division was provided by 30 AMB in Langar, England.

Following a restructure of the Canadian Forces in Europe, 4 (F) Wing was renamed Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Baden-Söllingen.

Service members and their families posted to CFB Baden-Söllingen often made their homes in the surrounding towns and villages. Kuppenheim was no exception. It is located several kilometres to the northwest of Baden- Söllingen.

Unlike most of North America, cemetery plots in Europe are not acquired in perpetuity but are leased for a specific period of time. Four children, James Weltz, Janice Locke, Sandra Kerr and Patricia Neilson had been buried in the municipal cemetery in Kuppenheim. Over time their graves were lost.

Canada has entered into a 50-year agreement with the Municipality of Kuppenheim for the maintenance of a Memorial Cairn. This Memorial Cairn bears the names of the four children and a dedication ceremony was held in 2004.

Background Information on these sites has been extracted from: the Pinetree Line Web Site; the 2 (F) Wing RCAF Grostenquin, France Information Booklet (1957); publication 4 CMBG Canada's NATO Brigade, 1983, Moritz Schauenburg Gmbh & Co. KG.

Date modified: