Sharpshooters’ Memorial

Hidden photo gallery

  • front and left side view
    (Click for more images)
  • front plaques
  • left side plaque
  • right side plaque

Municipality/Province: Ottawa, ON

Memorial Number: 35059-012

Type: Bronze statue and stone shaft

Address: 2 Queen Elizableth Drive

Location: Cartier Square Drill Hall

GPS Coordinates: Lat: 45.4220216   Long: -75.6899978

Contributor: Will Thompson. Clive Law. Richard Turcotte

In Major's Hill Park on the afternoon of Nov. 1, 1888, Lord Stanley of Preston, the Governor General of Canada, unveiled a monument dedicated to two local members of the Guards Company of Sharp-Shooters. William B. Osgoode and John Rogers were killed during the Battle of Cutknife Hill on 2 May 1885 during the North-West Rebellion.

The statue is a guardsman standing in mournful repose with his hands clasped on the butt of a rifle. Bronze medallion portraits of Rogers and Osgoode are located on each side of the Memorial.

Around the year 2006, this memorial was moved to Cartier Square Drill Hall.

Add or Update Memorial Information


Inscription found on memorial

[front - upper plaque/devant - plaque du haut]

ERECTED
BY THE
CITIZENS OF OTTAWA.
TO THE MEMORY OF
WM. B. OSGOODE,
AND
JOHN ROGERS,
OF THE
GUARDS COMPANY OF SHARP-SHOOTERS
WHO FELL IN ACTION AT
CUTKNIFE HILL,
ON THE 2ND OF MAY, 1885

[lower plaque/plaque du bas]

OEUVRE ÉRIGÉE PAR LES
HABITANTS D`OTTAWA
EN MÉMOIRE DE
WM. B. OSGOODE ET DE JOHN ROGERS,
DE LA COMPAGNIE DE LA GARDE DES SHARP SHOOTERS
QUI SONT TOMBÉS AU COMBAT
À CUTKNIFE HILL, LE 2 MAI 1885.

Note

This information is provided by contributors and Veterans Affairs Canada makes it available as a service to the public. Veterans Affairs Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or reliability of the information.

Date modified: