Language selection


The 1918 Wartime Diary of Private Charles Robert Bottomley

February 15, 1918 -- Left guns at 12 noon for wagon lines. Got a change of tunic and pants.

February 16, 1918 -- Started away on leave from Neun Le Mines. Fritz was shelling station. Had to beat it to Bethune Road down in boxcars and caught the leave train. Arrived in Balounge about nine p.m. Slept in the fish market all night.

February 17,1918 -- Arrived in England. Three boatloads of troops arrived about 2:30 p.m. and took the train to London. Arrived in London about 5.30 p.m. Went to the Maple Leaf club, had supper and cashed my cheque. Had a bath and clean change of underwear and clothes and then made my way to Burton Station via the tube. Caught the train to Manchester.

February 18, 1918 -- Arrived in Rochdale 7:15 a.m. Reached Bagslate about 8 a.m. Went to town to see my relatives on Rathway Street. Had the afternoon with Dad.

February 19, 1918 -- Went to Heywood. Saw several relatives in town and went to Jack Lindsay's place at night.

February 20, 1918 -- Went to Heywood. Saw several friends. Had tea with Ernest Milne.

February 21, 1918 -- Stayed around Rochdale and Bagslate all day.

February 22, 1918 -- Got up early, caught the Norden for Rochdale and made for Ellen Hannahs and then we both made our way to Radcliffe to visit cousin Edith and Sarah Alice. Had a pretty good time. Got back to Nowden about 10:30 p.m.

February 23, 1918 -- Went Rochdale in the morning. Also in the afternoon with father and mother and stayed in all night.

February 24, 1918 -- Went to Heywood in the morning. Had dinner at Jack Lindsay house. Went to school in the afternoon. Had tea with Jack Lindsay. Met Jane Ellen. Went to church at night. Saw Ada Bottomley. Got home 9 p.m.

February 25, 1918 -- Harry and me went to Manchester with cousins from Radcliffe. Saw Mrs. Hall and had dinner there. Then I went to Miles Platting. Saw Mr. and Mrs. Burkhead and we had dinner and tea with them. I made for Moss side. Saw Will Holt. Left Manchester about eight o'clock and to Norden about ten p.m.

February 26, 1918 -- Stayed around Norden and Rochdale and sent some presents home.

February 27, 1918 -- Went to Rochdale in the morning. Also in the afternoon had tea with Nellie and Mother and Father in Rochdale.

February 28, 1918 -- Walked to Heywood in the morning and said good-bye to several of my friends with Rex Tod. I had tea with Mary Boyd. Got home at 6 p.m. Very stormy.

Date modified: