Language selection

No. 2 Construction C.E.F. Memorial

Hidden photo gallery

  • front view
    (Click for more images)
  • surroundings

Municipality/Province: Pictou, NS

Memorial Number: 12007-013

Type: Granite stele

GPS Coordinates: Lat: 45.67542   Long: -62.71183

Contributor: Marilyn Gurney

Erected by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, this memorial is dedicated to the members of the No. 2 Construction Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force. In 1987, it was suggested to the Mayor of Pictou that the Market Wharf receive recognition for its role in Canadian history. Four years later, Pictou town council declared the site a municipal historic property. From there, the Pictou council and the Black Cultural Centre for Nova Scotia mounted a joint effort to gain national recognition for the site and the battalion. The effort achieved success, when in 1993 the Historic Sites and Monuments Board announced its decision to commemorate the Market Wharf for its role as headquarters for the No. 2 Construction Battalion.

Add or Update Memorial Information


Inscription found on memorial

[front/devant]

1916 1920

No. 2 Construction C.E.F.
First Headquarters Site
CANADA'S FIRST & ONLY BLACK BATTALION

"THEY SERVED THEIR COUNTRY HONOURABLY"

Note

This information is provided by contributors and Veterans Affairs Canada makes it available as a service to the public. Veterans Affairs Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or reliability of the information.

Date modified: