Argenta Gap War Cemetery

Argenta Gap War Cemetery

On 3 September 1943 the Allies invaded the Italian mainland, the invasion coinciding with an armistice made with the Italians who then re-entered the war on the Allied side. Following the fall of Rome to the Allies in June 1944, the German retreat became ordered and successive stands were made on a series of defensive lines. In the northern Appenine mountains the last of these, the Gothic Line, was breached by the Allies during the Autumn campaign and the front inched forward as far as Ravenna in the Adratic sector, but with divisions transferred to support the new offensive in France, the Germans dug in to a number of key defensive positions, the advance stalled as winter set in. The final Allied offensive began early the following April and Argenta Gap War Cemetery marks the final stages of the hard fighting in Italy in the spring of 1945. The site of the cemetery was chosen by the 78th Division for battlefield burials, and it was later enlarged when burials were brought in from the surrounding district. It contains, among others, the graves of many men of the Commandos engaged in the amphibious operations on the shores of the Comacchio lagoon early in April 1945. Argenta Gap War Cemetery contains 625 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War, eight of them unidentified.

Directions

The Cemetery lies in the Commune of Argenta in the Province of Ferrara and the town of Argenta is 2 kilometres south of the cemetery on the SS16 connecting Ravenna with Ferrara. Approaching the cemetery from the south, bear right just before reaching the town of Argenta and proceed down the Strada di Circonvallazione, passing the railway station on the right. Take the second turning to the right and, after crossing the railway, continue forward to a fork and again bear right. The turning to the cemetery is on the left, a little further on, near a farm. Approaching the cemetery from the north, turn sharp left off the main road at the first crossroads on the borders of the town and then take the third turning to the left which will lead to the railway crossing mentioned above.

Date modified: