Language selection


They Were Going Down Like a Field of Hay

Heroes Remember

They Were Going Down Like a Field of Hay

The Japanese come in on this side, we were over on the other side and then they took us. As far as I can remember they took us up in the hills, we were like evacuating, backing, yeah. And then from that time on, we got in the hills and then they started coming over us with planes and dropping bombs and they had on the Stanley Mound they call that, or Stanley Hill, they had two big cannons there and they were shooting that over to where the Japs was. And then we got up on this big hill there and we seen them. They were coming and they had one Vickers, one Bren gun, two Bren guns in that corner and two there, and we were in the centre with the rifles that was just going like that there. And they were going down like a field of hay, like when you go with a mowing mill through a field of hay, they were going down, falling. And then I remember this, there was one officer, his name was Powers, he was shot in the face here, he was bleeding and he says to me, and I was the first one to get up to him, he said, “Be careful. They’re all over there, over there,” and so I seen that and I got down on my knees, on one knee, and he rise and when he rise, I let him have it. It was a Jap, I got him. I had six shells in my gun and I got six of them but they had two of our guys shot on, Murphy and another guy, but they were shot. They had bullets from the foot right up, right up, they were done. And what he told me, the officer, he said, “Well, for your bravery” he says, “I am going to see that you’re going to get a medal.” But I never got the medal.

Mr. Hunt describes close combat with the Japanese and the casualties inflicted by both sides.

Hector Hunt

Hector Hunt was born in Pabos Mills, Quebec, on December 9, 1911. His father was the local river guardian. Mr. Hunt was the second oldest of 16 children. He had little schooling, having gone to the woods at the age of ten to cut pulp with his father. He also transported supplies to his father when he was busy on the river. At sixteen, Mr. Hunt started work at the Chandler pulp mill for twenty-five cents and hour. When the opportunity to enlist occurred, he signed up anticipating better wages and lifestyle. He had very little basic training and no live ammunition weapons training. Mr. Hunt served in Newfoundland before eventually being shipped overseas toHong Kong. He was a POW in both Hong Kong and Japan, where he worked in the coal mines near Niigata. Mr. Hunt credits his strong faith for helping him to endure his time in captivity. After completing his service, Mr. Hunt returned home to work in the local mill.

Meta Data
Veterans Affairs Canada
Person Interviewed:
Hector Hunt
War, Conflict or Mission:
Second World War
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Royal Rifles of Canada
Machine Gunner

Copyright / Permission to Reproduce

Related Videos

Date modified: