Language selection


Search veterans.gc.ca

Canadian Virtual War Memorial

Donald Rae Dewar

In memory of:

Flight Lieutenant Donald Rae Dewar

July 19, 1955
Sea Island, British Columbia

Military Service


Service Number:

30416

Age:

30

Force:

Air Force

Unit:

121 Communications and Rescue Flight

Citation(s):

1939-1945 Star, Italy Star, Burma Star, War Medal 1939-1945, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal,

Additional Information


Born:

November 5, 1924
Belleview, Alberta

Enlistment:

March 28, 1949
Toronto, Ontario

Son of Kenneth Duncan and Merle (nee Bathie) of Vancouver, British Columbia. Husband of Dorothy Ann (nee Aitkenhead) Dewar and father of Donna, Kenneth and Donald of Sea Island, Richmond, British Columbia.

Commemorated on Page 62 of the In the Service of Canada (1947 - 2014) Book of Remembrance. Request a copy of this page. Download high resolution copy of this page.

Burial Information


Cemetery:

MOUNTAIN VIEW CEMETERY, VANCOUVER
British Columbia, Canada

Grave Reference:

Grave 5, Plot 28, Row 5

Location:

Mountain View Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in the Vancouver Metropolitan area. It began operation in 1887, with the acquisition of a parcel of land now known as the Old Cemetery". It is bounded on the east by Fraser Street, on the south by 37th Avenue, on the north by 33rd Avenue, and on the west by a row of tall trees which today stand well within the present boundaries of the site. In 1901, land north of this was purchased from the Horne Family, and became known as the "Horne 1" Addition. Land to the south, comprising the Jones Farm, was added in 1910 and is designated as the "Jones 1" and "Jones 2" Additions. The "Horne 2" Addition, adjoining "Horne 1" on the west, was acquired in 1922. In 1919, a tract bound by 41st Avenue and 43rd Avenue was added. Known as the "1919" Addition, it accommodates many of the victims of the 1917-1919 infuenza epidemic, as well as the victims of a 1920s B.C. Coast shipwreck (The Sophia). The last addition was added on the western boundary in 1941 and is known as the "Abray Park" Addition, taking its name from a squatter who occupied an orchard and grazed cows in the area until the land was included in the cemetery.

Digital Collection

  • Newspaper clipping– Submitted for the project Operation Picture Me
  • Photo of Donald Rae Dewar

Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial

To learn more please visit our help page. If you have questions or comments regarding the information contained in this registry, email or call us.

Date modified: