St. John The Evangelist (The Garrison Church)

Plaque

D.Julsusson
Type

St. John The Evangelist (The Garrison Church)

Toronto, Ontario

Notice:

The National Inventory of Canadian Military Memorials is a public, crowd-sourced registry that helps Canadians learn about memorials in their communities. Inclusion in the Inventory does not imply VAC ownership or authority. Responsibility for the care, management, and any changes to a memorial rests with its owning or governing organization.

This plaque is dedicated to the Church of St. John The Evangelist (The Garrison Church). It was erected by the City of Toronto, Culture Division.

Inscription

CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST
(THE GARRISON CHURCH)
1853-1963
In 1858 the Anglican Church of St. John the Evangelist opened on Stewart Street to serve both the local
population and the garrison stationed at the old and new forts (Fort York and Stanley Barracks). By
the late 19th century, it had become a fashionable parish and the original frame structure was replaced in
1893 by a brick church on Portland Street designed by architect Eden Smith. The Garrison Church
welcomed first British, then Canadian troops and their families, and met the religious needs of
Toronto’s militia regiments and veterans’ organizations. Gradually, the local residential neighbourhood
was displaced by industry and the dwindling congregation could not meet the costs of maintaining
the building. The church was deconsecrated and demolished in 1963. Regimental colours and
other military items in the church were transferred to Canadian Forces Camp Borden.

City of Toronto Culture Division

2000

Location
St. John The Evangelist (The Garrison Church)

Toronto
Ontario
GPS Coordinates
Lat. 0
Long. 0