The Canadian Phalanx

Hidden photo gallery

  • sculpture (north side)
    (Click for more images)
  • sculpture
  • sculpture (north side)
  • sculpture (north side)

Municipality/Province: Ottawa, ON

Memorial Number: 35059-015

Type: Granite sculpture

Address: 284 Wellington Street

GPS Coordinates: Lat: 45.41965   Long: -75.70575

During the first World War, a committee headed by Lord Beaverbrook commissioned a vast collection of documentary art to commemorate Canada's participation in the war. Given as a gift to Canada in 1920, the Canadian War Memorial collection includes the marble relief entitled "The Canadian Phalanx" by the Yugoslavian sculptor, Ivan Mestrovic. The granite architecture frame in which it was set was designed by D.A. Topolski in 1972. (City of Ottawa Archives)

The three and one-half tonne stone panel is almost three metres long and two metres high. The National Capital Region architect B.A. Topolski designed the relief's grey granite frame, reminiscent of the towering pylons of the Canadian Memorial at Vimy Ridge.

The Canadian Phalanx is located at the Memorial Buildings and Arch.

Add or Update Memorial Information


Inscription found on memorial

no inscription/aucune inscription

Note

This information is provided by contributors and Veterans Affairs Canada makes it available as a service to the public. Veterans Affairs Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or reliability of the information.

Date modified: