Military Memorial Cairn

Hidden photo gallery

  • front
    (Click for more images)
  • top plaque
  • bottom plaque
  • surroundings
  • Lt. Rutherford

Municipality/Province: Colborne, ON

Memorial Number: 35027-022

Type: Cairn, bell

Address: 92 King Street

Location: Royal Canadian Legion Branch 187

GPS Coordinates: Lat: 44.0066841   Long: -77.8815069

Contributor: Terry MacDonald

The Military Memorial Cairn was erected by the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 187. The bell on top of the cairn was from the local public school and preserved by members of the Legion. The stone cairn was built by James Coyne in 1967 and refurbished by him in the early 1980s. Two plaques of remembrance were added to the cairn.  It is dedicated to the students who once attended the local school and as young adults enlisted to serve in war.

The Colborne Legion Mural is also located here.

Add or Update Memorial Information


Inscription found on memorial

[brass plaque/plaque en laiton]

THIS CAIRN WAS ERECTED BY BRANCH 187
OF THE CANADIAN LEGION IN THE
CENTENNIAL YEAR 1967.
TO PRESERVE THE BELL OF COLBORNE'S
UNION GRAMMAR SCHOOL 1857-1957
DEDICATED JUNE 14, 1967 BY
CHARLES RUTHERFORD V.C. M.C. M.M.

[granite plaque/plaque en granite]

"THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD
AS WE THAT ARE LEFT GROW
OLD: AGE SHALL NOT
WEARY THEM NOR THE
YEARS CONDEMN. AT THE
GOING DOWN OF THE SUN
AND IN THE MORNING WE
WILL REMEMBER THEM."

Street View

Note

This information is provided by contributors and Veterans Affairs Canada makes it available as a service to the public. Veterans Affairs Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or reliability of the information.

Date modified: