Language selection

Colborne Second World War Cenotaph

Hidden photo gallery

  • surroundings
    (Click for more images)
  • front
  • front
  • front inscription
  • back

Municipality/Province: Colborne, ON

Memorial Number: 35055-032

Type: Slab; stone

Address: 1 King Street West

Location: Victoria Square Park

GPS Coordinates: Lat: 44.0050987   Long: -77.8886091

Contributor: Richard Turcotte

A cenotaph in memory of the local fallen of the Second World War was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday afternoon, October 24, 1948. The light grey granite stele was erected in Victoria Square Park by the Ladies’ Auxiliary of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 187.

A parade, under the direction of Angus Duffy, Belleville, formed at Memorial Park and marched to Victoria Square Park in the following order: Colour Party, RCAF Band of Trenton; Colborne Legion members; Cobourg Legion members; 33rd Medium Regiment Band; Brighton Legion; Legion members from other branches, Ladies’ Auxiliary, Colborne High School cadets; Salvation Army Band; Boy Scouts and Cubs; and school children.

The master of ceremonies was A.D. Hall. Guests on the speaker’s platform were: Major the Rev. John W. Foote, Victoria Cross; Captain Charles S. Rutherford, Victoria Cross, Military Cross, Military Medal; Major R. Earle Drope, Military Medal, Member of Parliament; the Rev. Roy Rickard, MRE, Master Corporal; the Hon. W.A. Goodfellow, Minister of Welfare; the Rev. A.N. Reid; the Rev. J.W. Culley; Legion Zone Commander Roy Service; Colborne Legion Branch 187 President A.R. Harvey; Branch 187 Ladies’ Auxiliary President Ada Warner; and Miss Eliza J. Padginton, a faithful friend to servicemen of three wars.

Two months later the cenotaph was destroyed beyond repair by a car during the early hours of Wednesday, December 8. The monument was rebuilt. The Cenotaph Restoration Committee oversaw the cleaning and refurbishment of the monuments, installation of new concrete walkways rimmed with memorial paving stones purchased by families and friends of people they wished commemorated.

In the mid 1990’s, Korea was added to the back of the cenotaph by the local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion.

In 2014, the Cenotaph Restoration Committee oversaw the cleaning and refurbishment of both the First World War and Second World War Cenotaphs. A concrete pad was placed in a rectangular shape around both monuments and paving stones, furniture, planters, and lighting were added. The fountain separating the two cenotaphs was upgraded. The new walkways are rimmed with memorial paving stones purchased by families and friends of people they wish commemorated.

The project was funded by Veterans Affairs Canada, with donations from the public and the Township of Cramahe to cover the project's cost. The two Colborne war cenotaphs were rededicated on May 22, 2016.

Add or Update Memorial Information


Inscription found on memorial

[front/devant]

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND TO PERPETUALLY HONOUR OUR MEN
WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
1939 - 1945

CPL. BROOKS VICTOR E.
P/O. FARRELL DOUGLAS
W/O. GRANT W.K.
CAPT. McCUTCHEON HAROLD
PTE. McMURRAY CLARKE
F/O. PETERS ARTHUR H.
LAC. REED ARCHIBALD C.
LIEUT. SUCCEE ROSS

"THEY SERVED TILL DEATH! WHY NOT WE?"

ERECTED BY THE CITIZENS AND FRIENDS
OF THE COMMUNITY UNDER THE AUSPICES
OF THE LADIES AUXILIARY TO THE
COLBORNE BRANCH 187 CANADIAN LEGION

 

[back/arrière]
KOREA
1950 - 1953

Street View

Note

This information is provided by contributors and Veterans Affairs Canada makes it available as a service to the public. Veterans Affairs Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or reliability of the information.

Date modified: