Language selection

Windsor Memorial Fountain

Hidden photo gallery

Municipality/Province: Windsor, ON

Memorial Number: 35099-005

Type: Wall and balustrade

Address: Tecumseh Road E

Location: South of Jackson Park Fountain

GPS Coordinates: Lat: 42.29528   Long: -83.02261

Contributor: Pete Remdenok

This memorial to the South African War veterans of Essex County was dedicated in 1906 outside the former Post Office. It was relocated to Jackson Park in 1932. Ouellette Avenue was extended in 1961, which forced the monument to be moved and re-dedicated that year. It now rests in the park's sunken gardens.

John Scott well-known architect in Detroit, Michigan (John Scott & Co.) designed the Windsor Memorial Fountain, honouring veterans from the Boer War in South Africa, 1903-04. The firm's best known work in Canada was the refined Beaux-Arts design for the Carnegie Library in Windsor, Ont. (1902-03).

Add or Update Memorial Information


Inscription found on memorial

[plaque/plaque]

INSCRIBED ON THIS TABLET ARE THE NAMES OF VOLUNTEERS, RESIDENTS OF THE COUNTY OF ESSEX WHO SERVED IN THE BRITISH ARMY DURING THE WAR IN SOUTH AFRICA A.D. 1899-1902. FIRST, SECOND AND THIRD CONTINGENTS AND THE NAMES OF THE VARIOUS BATTLES

Note

This information is provided by contributors and Veterans Affairs Canada makes it available as a service to the public. Veterans Affairs Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or reliability of the information.

Date modified: