Military sexual trauma


Where can I get help?

Sexual Misconduct Support and Resource Centre

If you experienced sexual misconduct during your military service, the Sexual Misconduct Support and Resource Centre can provide confidential support, information on options and resources, and personalized referrals. You can also receive ongoing support and assistance through the Response and Support Coordination program.

Call 1-844-750-1648 anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

VAC Assistance Service

You can speak to a professional right now by calling the VAC Assistance Service at 1-800-268-7708. This service is a 24 hour toll free help line for military and RCMP Veterans, and their families. This service provides immediate short-term mental health counseling with a professional, along with referral services, including support for mental and emotional health concerns.

Peer support

Peer support for military sexual trauma is evolving. You can stay informed of peer support developments. If you are a current or former CAF member affected by sexual misconduct, you can learn more by emailing the Sexual Misconduct Support and Resource Centre (SMSRC).

Military Sexual Trauma Togetherall discussion forum

Access to the Togetherall platform will end on 29 March 2024. Other peer support services are available. Visit the Sexual Misconduct Support and Resource Centre web page for more information.

Applying for VAC benefits

Veterans or members who have a condition due to military sexual trauma, such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression, and/or physical conditions, are encouraged to apply to VAC for disability benefits and/or rehabilitation services. Veterans or members may apply for any condition linked to military sexual trauma with supporting medical information from his or her treating physician or psychologist. A link between the medical condition and military sexual trauma must be present.

VAC has updated its approach and policies for determining claims for Veterans and CAF members applying for benefits involving an injury, illness or other medical condition resulting from military sexual trauma. You may be able to apply to VAC for departmental review or request reconsideration even if you have been denied VAC benefits for past claims arising from military sexual trauma.

Find out how to review or appeal a previous decision.

Updated policies

You can see the three updated policies here:

Additional Resources

Find support near you using the sexual misconduct support resources search tool.