Language selection

Tyne Cot Cemetery

Cemetery Plan - Tyne Cot Cemetery

Cemetery Plan - Tyne Cot Cemetery

Tyne Cot Cemetery is located 9 Km north east of Ieper town centre on the Tynecotstraat, a road leading from the Zonnebeekseweg (N332). The cemetery itself lies 700 meters along the Tynecotstraat on the right hand side of the road.

Tyne Cot or Tyne Cottage was the name given by the Northumberland Fusiliers to a barn which stood near the level crossing on the Passchendaele-Broodseinde road. Three of these blockhouses still stand in the cemetery; the largest, which was captured on 4 October 1917 by the 3rd Australian Division, was chosen as the site for the Cross of Sacrifice by King George V during his pilgrimage to the cemeteries of the Western Front in Belgium and France in 1922.

The Tyne Cot Cemetery is now the resting-place of nearly 12,000 soldiers of the Commonwealth Forces, the largest number of burials of any Commonwealth cemetery of either world war.

Date modified: