Canadian Virtual War Memorial

John Wesley Groom

In memory of:

Private John Wesley Groom

August 3, 1916

Military Service


Service Number:

135152

Age:

18

Force:

Army

Unit:

Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regiment)

Division:

42nd Bn.

Additional Information


Son of Lydia E. Morton, of 3087A, Dundas St. West. Toronto.

Commemorated on Page 96 of the First World War Book of Remembrance. Request a copy of this page.

Burial Information


Cemetery:
Grave Reference:

II. H. 7.

Location:

Brandhoek Military Cemetery is located 6.5 km west of Ieper town centre on the Branderstraat, a road leading from the N308 connecting Ieper to Poperinge. From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308) is reached via Elverdingsestraat then directly over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. 6 km along the N308, after passing the village of Vlamertinge and just beyond the church in the hamlet of Brandhoek, lies the left hand turning onto the Grote Branderstraat. The cemetery is located 300 metres along the Branderstraat on the left hand side of the road, beyond the N38 dual carriageway, which it is necessary to cross. Historical Information: During the First World War, Brandhoek was within the area comparatively safe from shell fire which extended beyond Vlamertinghe Church. Field ambulances were posted there continuously and the Military Cemetery was opened early in May 1915 in a field adjoining the dressing station. It closed in July 1917 when the New Military Cemetery was opened nearby, to be followed by the New Military Cemetery No 3 in August 1917. Brandhoek Military Cemetery now contains 669 First World War burials. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Digital Collection

Send us your images
  • Newspaper Clipping– From the Toronto Star. Submitted for the project, Operation: Picture Me
  • High Park Methodist Church– 1914 - 1918 Memorial Plaque for High Park Methodist Church, 260 High Park 
Ave., Toronto, Ontario.   The Memorial Plaque was unveiled in 1924 by 
Nursing Sister Pat Tuckett, and a Memorial Organ was presented by the 
Women's Association.   Those who died (38 names) are listed on the centre 
panel with the names of those who served on the side panels.   The first 
services at this location were held in October 1908.  The church  became 
High Park Avenue United Church in 1925, and High Park-Alhambra in 1970.

Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial

To learn more please visit our help page. If you have questions or comments regarding the information contained in this registry, email vac.cvwm-mvgc.acc@canada.ca or call us.

Date modified: