Health-related travel expenses

Sometimes you need to travel for healthcare. If you have a VAC Health Identification card you may qualify to have some or all your costs recovered.

About this program

Travel expenses incurred by the Veteran when travelling to receive healthcare services or benefits may be reimbursed by VAC. Health-related travel costs include items such as transportation, parking, meals, lodging, out of province travel and, when required, an escort, meaning someone to accompany you if you are travelling to receive treatment.

In some of these cases, there is a maximum which can be claimed.

Please note the form has been updated on August 13, 2019. You should download the latest copy.

Do you qualify?

We may reimburse health related travel costs to eligible Veterans who received treatment benefits authorized by us.

You must submit a health related travel claim within eighteen (18) months of your medical appointment. If you are enrolled in a VAC rehabilitation program you must submit a health related travel claim within twelve (12) months of your medical appointment.

For help please visit Health-related Travel Guide.

How to apply

Claim online

Apply online through My VAC Account. Applying is easier with a guided form. Sign in or register for My VAC Account.

My VAC Account

Mail or in person

Download the health-related travel reimbursement form.

For help please visit Health-related Travel Guide.

Then, drop it off at a VAC Area Office. You can also mail your completed form directly to the address listed on the form.

Get help

The staff at any VAC office can assist you, or call us at 1-866-522-2122.

Additional information

Find out more


Veterans do not need to submit receipts with their travel claims unless VAC asks for them. Veterans must still obtain receipts and appointment verifications and retain these original receipts for one year following the claim submission in case they are requested for review.

Escort fees - Compensation for someone to accompany you when you must travel to receive treatment. See the current rates for this program

For meals - The amount paid cannot exceed the meal allowances set out by the National Joint Council's Appendix C.


Travel is defined as transportation, within Canada, by the most convenient and economical means appropriate to the condition of the Veteran between their residence and the appropriate treatment centre nearest to their residence.

For travel in your own private vehicle - VAC can reimburse kilometers at a rate that is two (2) cents more than the kilometric rate set out in the National Joint Council's Appendix B.

For pre-approved overnight travel - Standard commercial accommodations can be paid at a rate no higher than the maximum rate permitted for federal public servants as outlined in the current Hotel Directory for Government Employees or private accommodations can be paid at a the rate outlined in the National Joint Council's Appendix C.

Related programs

Coverage for services, prescription and devices: Financial support to qualified Veterans for healthcare services, and some travel expenses.

Frequently asked questions

How do I receive VAC pre-approval for my expenses?

You can request pre-approval prior to making travel arrangements using one of the following options:

  • Call VAC at 1-866-522-2122 (toll-free) Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. local time;
  • Send us a secure message through My VAC Account; or
  • Visit an area office.

Your request for pre-approval should be for specific dates, and you should be prepared to provide the name of the provider.

What type of HRT expenses can I claim?

You may claim the following travel expenses to attend appointments:

  • Transportation (examples: kilometres/mileage, taxi, bus, parking, toll, and ferry)
  • Meals
  • Lodging (must be pre-approved by VAC)
  • Escort fee and escort travel expenses, when the need for an escort is medically necessary and has been pre-approved by VAC)

If you are a participant of VAC’s Rehabilitation Program and accessing a rehabilitation service approved by VAC, you may also claim:

  • Additional dependent care expenses which must be pre-approved by VAC.

I travel to get health-related items, but it is not to attend an appointment with a health care professional or to attend treatment, can I claim these expenses?

No, travel expenses you incur to fill prescriptions or purchase/pick-up other health related items (batteries, supplies, cannabis for medical purposes etc.) are not eligible for reimbursement.

When can I claim a meal allowance?

A meal allowance may be claimed when you purchased a meal due to being away from home because you attended an appointment.

Meal allowances can only be claimed for the time period required to travel to and from your appointment and the time period you wait and attend your medical or rehabilitation-related appointment. If your travel time is extended for reasons not related to your appointment, you are NOT eligible to claim meals. VAC will pay the corresponding meal allowance listed below, if you are required to be away from home for the entire two hour period listed below, based on the time you leave and return home.

  • Breakfast 6:30-8:30 a.m.
  • Lunch 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
  • Dinner 5:00-7:00 p.m.

If you are travelling with an escort approved by VAC, your escort’s meal(s) will be reimbursed based on your own meal(s) claimed.

What is an acceptable appointment verification?

Any written confirmation that you attended the appointment, from the office of your health care professional is accepted for the purposes of verifying your appointment. Examples include:

  • Health care professional completes and signs or stamps your claim form (VAC752), Section “B”.
  • Obtain an appointment card which is signed or stamped by your health care professional and includes the date and time of your appointment, and the health care professional’s address.
  • A signed letter from your health care professional’s office confirming the appointment date, time, and address.

Read more FAQs about the Guide to the Health-related Travel.