Language selection

Canadian Virtual War Memorial

Robert Hugh Moffat

In memory of:

Private Robert Hugh Moffat

April 23, 1915

Military Service


Service Number:

29367

Force:

Army

Unit:

Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regiment)

Division:

16th Bn.

Additional Information


Commemorated on Page 29 of the First World War Book of Remembrance. Request a copy of this page.

Burial Information


Cemetery:
Grave Reference:

Panel 24 - 26 - 28 - 30

Location:


The Menin Gate Memorial is situated at the eastern side of the town of Ypres (now Ieper) in the Province of West Flanders, on the road to Menin and Courtrai. It bears the names of 55,000 men who were lost without trace during the defence of the Ypres Salient in the First World War. Designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and erected by the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commission, it consists of a Hall of Memory", 36.6 metres long by 20.1 metres wide. In the centre are broad staircases leading to the ramparts which overlook the moat, and to pillared loggias which run the whole length of the structure. On the inner walls of the Hall, on the side of the staircases and on the walls of the loggias, panels of Portland stone bear the names of the dead, inscribed by regiment and corps. Carved in stone above the central arch are the words:


TO THE ARMIES OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE WHO STOOD HERE FROM 1914 TO 1918 AND TO THOSE OF THEIR DEAD WHO HAVE NO KNOWN GRAVE.

Over the two staircases leading from the main Hall is the inscription:

HERE ARE RECORDED NAMES OF OFFICERS AND MEN WHO FELL IN YPRES SALIENT BUT TO WHOM THE FORTUNE OF WAR DENIED THE KNOWN AND HONOURED BURIAL GIVEN TO THEIR COMRADES IN DEATH.

The dead are remembered to this day in a simple ceremony that takes place every evening at 8:00 p.m. All traffic through the gateway in either direction is halted, and two buglers (on special occasions four) move to the centre of the Hall and sound the Last Post. Two silver trumpets for use in the ceremony are a gift to the Ypres Last Post Committee by an officer of the Royal Canadian Artillery, who served with the 10th Battery, of St. Catharines, Ontario, in Ypres in April 1915."

Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Digital Collection

Send us your images
  • Memorial– Inscription on the Menin Gate … photo courtesy of Marg Liessens
  • Name on the Roll of Honour– Detail of Pte. Robert Hugh Moffat's name on the Merchants Bank of Canada 1914 - 1918 Roll of Honour.
  • Roll of Honour– Pte. Robert Hugh Moffat's name was included on the Merchants Bank of Canada 1914 - 1918 Roll of Honour. He indicated on his military attestation that he was a bank clerk. He volunteered to serve early in the war and signed his military attestation on September 23rd, 1914 at Valcartier Camp, Quebec.  He was a member of the historic First Canadian Contingent.  Source:  The Standard / Canada's Aid to the Allies and Peace Memorial.  Edited by Frederick Yorston. Published by the Montreal Standard Publishing Co., Ltd., Montreal.  This large Souvenir Edition magazine included the Rolls of Honour for various prominent Canadian businesses.
  • War Memorial– World War One memorial tablet, St. Paul's (Anglican), Bloor St. East, Toronto, Ontario. One of two memorial tablets set within a spectacular carved alabaster chancel screen. Erected in memory of the men of St. Paul's who died during the first World War and unveiled in March 1926. Each alabaster tablet incorporates mosaic work depicting kneeling angels holding a laurel wreath and a torch. Seventy-six names in total were listed by date of death. Inscribed: 'DYING AND BEHOLD WE LIVE', and 'So he passed over, and all the trumpets sounded for him on the other side.' (John Bunyan).
  • Inscription– World War One memorial tablet set in the chancel screen at St. Paul's (Anglican), Toronto, Ontario. The screen is in three sections, with the two outside sections displaying the tablets. The chancel screen includes statues of twelve historic figures including Admiral Earl Beatty, King George V, Earl Kitchener, Marshal Foch, Earl Haig, and Lord Byng of Vimy. The screen was the work of Messrs. J. Wippell & Co., of Exeter, England.

The great chancel war memorial windows are located above. These are inscribed: 'To the Greater Glory of God and in Everlasting Remembrance of the Men of St. Paul's Parish who gave their lives in Defence of Justice, Liberty and Truth, A.D. 1914-1919.' They were unveiled in 1921 by the Governor-General of Canada, Baron Byng of Vimy. Another World War One memorial window in honour of the men named on the tablets is located on the east wall of the Nave. The panels include fragments of glass from 70 buildings in the war zones. It was unveiled by Baron Byng of Vimy in 1922. Both windows were manufactured by Robert McCausland Ltd. of Toronto.

Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial

To learn more please visit our help page. If you have questions or comments regarding the information contained in this registry, email vac.cvwm-mvgc.acc@canada.ca or call us.

Date modified: