Language selection

Canadian Virtual War Memorial

Henry Charles Thorn

In memory of:

Private Henry Charles Thorn

November 6, 1917

Military Service


Service Number:

862736

Age:

22

Force:

Army

Unit:

Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment)

Division:

29th Bn.

Additional Information


Born:

April 27, 1895

Son of Mrs. Alice Thom, of Toronto, Ontario.

Commemorated on Page 339 of the First World War Book of Remembrance. Request a copy of this page.

Burial Information


Cemetery:
Grave Reference:

Panel 18 - 28 - 30

Location:


The Menin Gate Memorial is situated at the eastern side of the town of Ypres (now Ieper) in the Province of West Flanders, on the road to Menin and Courtrai. It bears the names of 55,000 men who were lost without trace during the defence of the Ypres Salient in the First World War. Designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and erected by the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commission, it consists of a Hall of Memory", 36.6 metres long by 20.1 metres wide. In the centre are broad staircases leading to the ramparts which overlook the moat, and to pillared loggias which run the whole length of the structure. On the inner walls of the Hall, on the side of the staircases and on the walls of the loggias, panels of Portland stone bear the names of the dead, inscribed by regiment and corps. Carved in stone above the central arch are the words:


TO THE ARMIES OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE WHO STOOD HERE FROM 1914 TO 1918 AND TO THOSE OF THEIR DEAD WHO HAVE NO KNOWN GRAVE.

Over the two staircases leading from the main Hall is the inscription:

HERE ARE RECORDED NAMES OF OFFICERS AND MEN WHO FELL IN YPRES SALIENT BUT TO WHOM THE FORTUNE OF WAR DENIED THE KNOWN AND HONOURED BURIAL GIVEN TO THEIR COMRADES IN DEATH.

The dead are remembered to this day in a simple ceremony that takes place every evening at 8:00 p.m. All traffic through the gateway in either direction is halted, and two buglers (on special occasions four) move to the centre of the Hall and sound the Last Post. Two silver trumpets for use in the ceremony are a gift to the Ypres Last Post Committee by an officer of the Royal Canadian Artillery, who served with the 10th Battery, of St. Catharines, Ontario, in Ypres in April 1915."

Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Digital Collection

Send us your images
  • Memorial– Inscription on the Menin Gate … photo courtesy of Marg Liessens
  • Newspaper Clipping– From the Toronto Star. Submitted for the project, Operation: Picture Me
  • Newspaper Clipping
  • Newspaper Clipping 2
  • Newspaper Clipping (3)
  • Sons of England Benefit Society– Sons of England Benefit Society:  a notice of the December 29th, 1923 dedication and unveiling at University & College Streets (original location), detail from an S.O.E. membership certificate, and detail from the base of the Toronto Memorial.
  • Sons of England War Memorial– Designed by Charles Adamson in bronze and granite, the Sons of England war memorial is located on University Avenue at Elm Street in Toronto.  The inscription on this 1923 Memorial reads:   ERECTED BY MEMBERS OF TORONTO DISTRICTS SONS OF ENGLAND BENEFIT SOCIETY IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR.

Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial

To learn more please visit our help page. If you have questions or comments regarding the information contained in this registry, email vac.cvwm-mvgc.acc@canada.ca or call us.

Date modified: