Language selection

Canadian Virtual War Memorial

Cecil Austin Bell

In memory of:

Private Cecil Austin Bell

September 30, 1918

Military Service

Service Number:







Canadian Infantry (Central Ontario Regiment)


75th Bn.

Additional Information


May 15, 1895

Commemorated on Page 366 of the First World War Book of Remembrance. Request a copy of this page.

Burial Information

Grave Reference:

II. F. 2.


Tilloy-les-Cambrai is a village on the north-western outskirts of the town of Cambrai and a little east of the road to Douai. Follow the N30 (Cambrai Ring Road) from Cambrai to its junction with the Tilloy-les-Cambrai road, the D49, just after the junction of the N30 and the N43 (Douai road). Follow the D49 for approximately 2.2 kilometres, crossing the bridge over the motorway, to a side road on the west-south-west (left) side. The Canada Cemetery lies 200 metres away at the end of the side road. Tilloy was captured by the Canadian Corps about the 1st October, 1918, in the face of strong opposition, and the cemetery was made by their Burial Officer on the 13th October. It is enclosed by a brick wall, and sheltered from the road by a row of willows; and a maple tree is planted at the South-East corner.

Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Digital Collection

Send us your images
  • Circumstances of Death Registers– Source: Library and Archives Canada.  CIRCUMSTANCES OF DEATH REGISTERS FIRST WORLD WAR Surnames: Bernard to Binyan. Mircoform Sequence 8; Volume Number 31829_B016718; Reference RG150, 1992-93/314, 152 Page 29 of 670
  • Grave Marker
  • Newspaper Article
  • Memorial Plaque– Memorial plaque erected in memory of Pte. Cecil Austin Bell by his family.  Located at the Church of the Holy Trinity (Anglican), Trinity Square, Toronto, Ontario.
  • Memorial Plaque (2)– Detail of memorial plaque.  The plaque includes two errors - Pte. Bell's middle initial, and the spelling of Cambrai.
  • Memorial Plaque– Pte. Cecil Austin Bell's memorial plaque is located at the lower right corner of the War Memorial stained glass windows (1922) at the Church of the Holy Trinity.  The Honour Roll for the Church is just below the windows.

Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial

To learn more please visit our help page. If you have questions or comments regarding the information contained in this registry, email or call us.

Date modified: