Canadian Virtual War Memorial

Alfred Carbert Bastedo

In memory of:

Captain Alfred Carbert Bastedo

April 23, 1915

Belgium

Military Service


Age:

29

Force:

Army

Unit:

Canadian Infantry (Western Ontario Regiment)

Division:

1st Bn.

Additional Information


Son of J. M. and Ida A. Bastedo, of 4, Jean St., Toronto, Ontario.

Commemorated on Page 4 of the First World War Book of Remembrance. Request a copy of this page.

Burial Information


Cemetery:
Grave Reference:

Panel 10 - 26 - 28

Location:


The Menin Gate Memorial is situated at the eastern side of the town of Ypres (now Ieper) in the Province of West Flanders, on the road to Menin and Courtrai. It bears the names of 55,000 men who were lost without trace during the defence of the Ypres Salient in the First World War. Designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and erected by the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commission, it consists of a Hall of Memory", 36.6 metres long by 20.1 metres wide. In the centre are broad staircases leading to the ramparts which overlook the moat, and to pillared loggias which run the whole length of the structure. On the inner walls of the Hall, on the side of the staircases and on the walls of the loggias, panels of Portland stone bear the names of the dead, inscribed by regiment and corps. Carved in stone above the central arch are the words:


TO THE ARMIES OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE WHO STOOD HERE FROM 1914 TO 1918 AND TO THOSE OF THEIR DEAD WHO HAVE NO KNOWN GRAVE.

Over the two staircases leading from the main Hall is the inscription:

HERE ARE RECORDED NAMES OF OFFICERS AND MEN WHO FELL IN YPRES SALIENT BUT TO WHOM THE FORTUNE OF WAR DENIED THE KNOWN AND HONOURED BURIAL GIVEN TO THEIR COMRADES IN DEATH.

The dead are remembered to this day in a simple ceremony that takes place every evening at 8:00 p.m. All traffic through the gateway in either direction is halted, and two buglers (on special occasions four) move to the centre of the Hall and sound the Last Post. Two silver trumpets for use in the ceremony are a gift to the Ypres Last Post Committee by an officer of the Royal Canadian Artillery, who served with the 10th Battery, of St. Catharines, Ontario, in Ypres in April 1915."

Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Digital Collection

Send us your images
  • Inscription– Inscription on the Menin Gate - August 2012 … photo courtesy of Marg Liessens
  • Menin Gate Memorial– October 2009 … photo courtesy of Marg Liessens
  • Menin Gate Memorial– Panel 10 of the Menin Gate - August 2012 … photo courtesy of Marg Liessens
  • Circumstances of Death Registers– Circumstance of Death (front) record from the collection at Library and Archives Canada. Captain Bastedo is reported killed in action of 23 April 1915 near Pilckem Village.
  • Circumstances of Death Registers– Circumstance of Death (back) record from the collection at Library and Archives Canada. Captain Bastedo is reported to have had a battlefield grave at grid coordinates 28.C.20.b.6.2 (GPS coordinates: 50.8774, 2.8938 or  50°52'38.64"N  2°53'37.68"E).
  • War Graves Register– E-13 War Grave Register for Captain Bastedo. Although he had a recorded and registered battlefield grave at 28.C.20.b.6.2, that grave has not yet been identified as one of those concentrated into a CWGC cemetery. Work continues to examine all cemeteries where the remains may have been concentrated. Until such time as that is accomplished, his name remains on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.
  • Map– The location of the battlefield burial site of Captain Bastedo as recorded on modern day Google Earth. The red pin "b" in the yellow box marks the location at 28.C.b.6.2 where he was reported to have been buried on 23 April 1915. CWGC cemeteries in the immediate area of Ypres, where his remains may lie, are marked with orange "c" pointers. For reference to area maps, Kitchener's Wood is marked in the upper right corner of the image.
  • Photo of Alfred Bastedo– From: The Varsity Magazine Supplement published by The Students Administrative Council, University of Toronto 1918.  
Submitted for the Soldiers' Tower Committee, University of Toronto, by Operation Picture Me.
  • Newspaper Clipping– The Varsity War Supplement, University of Toronto, July 1915.
  • Newspaper Clipping– From the Toronto Star. Submitted for the project, Operation: Picture Me
  • Honor Roll– Honour Roll from The Varsity War Supplement, University of Toronto, July 1915.
  • Document– Page 1 of Appendix 1 of the War Diary of the 4th Canadian Battalion in the attack of April 23, 1915. The war diary provides the narrative to go along with the maps shown here. To read the rest of the details, search for the 4th Infantry Battalion on the database of Library and Archives Canada at: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/02015202_e.html
  • Document– The red box inserted onto Nicholson Sketch 7 shows the location of the 1st and 4th Battalions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force relative to the units of the British Army on their left and right flanks. The Canadian 1st and 4th Battalions were in the 1st Brigade of the 1st Canadian Division. Units of the 2nd and 3rd Brigades were in similar battles well to the right of the 1st Brigade in the attack on Kitcheners Wood.
  • Document– The actual attack map for April 23, 1915 from the War Diary of the 4th Infantry Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. This map was used to mark-up the trench map relative to the location of Captain Bastedo on the morning of his death during the 2nd Battle of Ypres and on the 2nd day of the first major use of poisonous gas in the Great War of 1914-1921.
  • Document– The detailed battle lines of April 23, 1915 with a star (red & yellow) marking the spot where Captain Bastedo's body was last recorded. Remains burial reference is 1:40,000 trench map Sheet 28 Sector C20 Grid b.6.2 (map extract from the Lloyd Reed Collection, McMaster University - marked by Richard Laughton, Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group).
  • Map– The area north of Ypres, Belgium where Captain Bastedo was engaged in battle and killed near St. Julien on the morning of April 23, 1915 (reference: extract of Nicholson Map 1, Historical Section DND).
  • Honor Roll
  • Newspaper Clipping
  • Honour Roll– From the "University of Toronto / Roll of Service 1914-1918", published in 1921.
  • Milton Ontario War Memorial– Milton Ontario War Memorial (1926), Victoria Park Square, Milton, 
Ontario, Canada.
  • Milton Ontario War Memorial– Names listed on the Milton Ontario War Memorial.
  • The Soldiers' Tower– The Soldiers' Tower, University of Toronto was built in 1924 in memory of those lost to the University in the Great War. Their names are carved on the Memorial Screen.  Photo:  K. Parks.
  • Inscription– Inscription in Memorial Room, Soldiers' Tower.  The carillon was installed in 1927.  Originally there were 23 bells. Alumni and friends donated funds for bells in memory of those who died in the Great War. Dedications are carved high on the walls of the Memorial Room, several of which pertain to University College. Bell XXIII is dedicated:  "University College Alumni Association". Photo courtesy of Alumni Relations.
  • Memorial Room– Memorial Room, Soldiers' Tower, University of Toronto.  Photo by David Pike, 2010; courtesy of Alumni Relations.

Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial

To learn more please visit our help page. If you have questions or comments regarding the information contained in this registry, email vac.cvwm-mvgc.acc@canada.ca or call us.

Date modified: