Language selection


Search veterans.gc.ca

Canadian Virtual War Memorial

Paul Adrien Lambert

In memory of:

Private Paul Adrien Lambert

April 8, 1916
Saint-Éloi, Ypres, Belgium

Military Service


Service Number:

61589

Age:

21

Force:

Army

Unit:

Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regiment)

Division:

22nd Battalion

Citation(s):

Medaille Militaire (France) and Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette No. 29503 dated March 11, 1916) "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion when with another man, he carried in a severely wounded comrade under heavy fire. Having no stretcher they carried him on their shoulders, and in doing so had to cross barbed wire and several trenches. Their bravery and physical energy was most marked."

Honours and Awards:

Distinguished Conduct Medal

Additional Information


Born:

July 9, 1894
Montréal, Quebec

Enlistment:

October 26, 1914
Montréal, Quebec

Son of Joseph Lambert (deceased in 1905) and Eugénie Beauchamp (deceased in 1917), of Lachine, Québec. Died without a will and following the death of his mother, his brother Joseph-Armand, of Montréal, was decreed his recognized next of kin.

Adrien Lambert was a member of the battalion's machine gun section and was reported missing during the famous Battle of the St. Eloi Craters in which machine gunners from all units of the 5th Brigade suffered heavy casualties in an attempt to block a German advance and capture the craters.

Commemorated on Page 115 of the First World War Book of Remembrance. Request a copy of this page. Download high resolution copy of this page.

Burial Information


Cemetery:
Grave Reference:

Panel 24 - 26 - 28 - 30

Location:


The Menin Gate Memorial is situated at the eastern side of the town of Ypres (now Ieper) in the Province of West Flanders, on the road to Menin and Courtrai. It bears the names of 55,000 men who were lost without trace during the defence of the Ypres Salient in the First World War. Designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and erected by the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commission, it consists of a Hall of Memory", 36.6 metres long by 20.1 metres wide. In the centre are broad staircases leading to the ramparts which overlook the moat, and to pillared loggias which run the whole length of the structure. On the inner walls of the Hall, on the side of the staircases and on the walls of the loggias, panels of Portland stone bear the names of the dead, inscribed by regiment and corps. Carved in stone above the central arch are the words:


TO THE ARMIES OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE WHO STOOD HERE FROM 1914 TO 1918 AND TO THOSE OF THEIR DEAD WHO HAVE NO KNOWN GRAVE.

Over the two staircases leading from the main Hall is the inscription:

HERE ARE RECORDED NAMES OF OFFICERS AND MEN WHO FELL IN YPRES SALIENT BUT TO WHOM THE FORTUNE OF WAR DENIED THE KNOWN AND HONOURED BURIAL GIVEN TO THEIR COMRADES IN DEATH.

The dead are remembered to this day in a simple ceremony that takes place every evening at 8:00 p.m. All traffic through the gateway in either direction is halted, and two buglers (on special occasions four) move to the centre of the Hall and sound the Last Post. Two silver trumpets for use in the ceremony are a gift to the Ypres Last Post Committee by an officer of the Royal Canadian Artillery, who served with the 10th Battery, of St. Catharines, Ontario, in Ypres in April 1915."

Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Digital Collection

Send us your images

  • Memorial– Inscription on the Menin Gate … photo courtesy of Marg Liessens
  • Award Citation
  • Newspaper Clipping

Learn more about the Canadian Virtual Memorial

To learn more please visit our help page. If you have questions or comments regarding the information contained in this registry, email or call us.

Date modified: